This month the Brevard County Commission voted to provide the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation (CCLF) with funding to recreate the first of four keepers cottage structures on the site, allowing us to take a giant step toward rebuilding the historical setting as it was when keepers and their families lived on the site more than a hundred years ago!
Just in case the sentence above didn’t “sink in”, this is BIG NEWS! This news is the result of thousands of hours of volunteer efforts over several decades. This news is the very definition of “perseverance”.
During the calendar year 2018, with your help we now have the opportunity to make our dream become a reality in the re-creation of the first cottage. Visitors and schoolchildren from all over will be able to stand at the lighthouse and both see and feel the conditions there in an accurate historical perspective.
Does this success mean we can sit back and rest now? In short: NO! Our perseverance has paid off in a major step forward, but as a result of this success, we need you NOW more than ever before:
· We need more new members to join at $35 per member! That $35 helps more than you could imagine.
· We need lapsed members to renew their membership! Again, that $35 helps beyond belief.
· We need more volunteers! The CCLF is made up of a lot of great folks and we love what we do, but it’s true that “many hands make for light work”. Please volunteer!
· We need more brick sales. Brick sales personalize your contribution to the lighthouse, and are a critical part of our path forward.
· We need you to participate in our events. These events are informative, and universally FUN!
· We need you to like us on Facebook and other social media – the best way to spread the word!
· Most importantly, we need you to visit us! If you want to protect and preserve our most cherished historical artifacts, or you just plain love lighthouses, you are our friend and we want to visit with you.
Perseverance! Who’d have thought that we’d be here now? The answer is quite a few of us for quite a few years. Please join us!
See you at the Lighthouse!
On October 10th, 2017 the Brevard County Commissioners approved the Tourism Development Council recommendation to fund $500,000.00 for construction of the first Keeper’s Cottage for the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. Restoration of the Keeper’s Cottages has been a fundamental goal of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation since its establishment in 2002.
The latest edition of the Canaveral Beacon is now available now. It includes an article about the International Propeller Club of the Unithed States, 91st Annual Convention. Also included are an article and a few pictures of the Cape Kennedy Corvette Club 50th Anniversary Celebration held on October 7th.
This month’s Volunteer Spotlight features Shelly Robinson and her work in the Keeper’s Closet at the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. You can read more about Shelly in the latest issue of the Canaveral Beacon.
And don’t forget to save the date: February 10, 2018 for the Lighthouse Festival, celebrating the 150th light year for the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. Expect registration and tickets to begin December 1, 2018. If you business or organization is interested in becoming a sponsor for this event, details are in the current issue of the Foundation newsletter, the Canaveral Beacon.
You can view the newsletter at:
Canaveral Beacon – October 2017
A Few Words about the Florida Lighthouse Association (FLA)
Former President, Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation
The Florida Lighthouse Association is a nonprofit group of citizen activists dedicated to the preservation of the 30 remaining historic lighthouses that line our state’s 1,350-mile coastline. Once central to the economic growth and settlement of our nation, many of Florida’s lighthouses face uncertain futures. We encourage members of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation to support FLA by joining and attending meetings. For details check out the website at www.floridalighthouses.org . FLA grants have helped us toward our goals of restoring our Canaveral Lighthouse community as it once was. Recently FLA awarded us a grant of $6,000 for the rental of a trailer to be placed at the lighthouse to house our gift shop and display our Brick Project. We ask you to show your appreciation by joining FLA today!